Nissan SA is the proud sponsor of Team Nissan. Team Nissan has been Barry and Lorette Taylor’s proud headline sponsor since 2011.
Team Nissan works closely with the SASJ, and their local club KEP as well as a number of riding schools that run formal development programs; in order to nuture and develop aspiring young showjumpers from previously disadvantaged backgrounds. From these development days held during the year, Nissan SA and Team Nissan is hopeful that more talent for top level competition can be identified. When aspiring talented riders are identified, they are invited to have additional training with Barry and Lorette, if they wish to further their equestrian education.
Team Nissan with HHCU started the Silver Lining Initiative in July 2014. This coincided with Mandela Day and is all about taking on an ex-racehorse from the unit and training him/her as a showjumper for 67 (not minutes) days. This would then increase the horse’s value and she/he would to be able to be adopted at a higher than usual adoption price. These additional funds raised for a trained thoroughbred would then go back to HHCU.
Lorette has started a 2nd hand clothing and riding apparel donation initiative via Facebook. It relies on the generosity of the riding world to donate their unused or old tack, equestrian clothing, riding boots, hats, gloves. This initiative aids the riding schools that run formal development programs to keep their township riders safe with riding hats and the correct footwear, which is usually very costly. This initiative also aids the more advanced kids that are already competing to have smart (and safe) competition kit. Anything not used by the riders will then be donated to the Highveld Horse Care (HHCU) to raise much needed funds for their unit’s rescue horses.
In 2017 the THANDI program was successfully launched.
Liam Griffith Stevens
I was 3rd in the South African Derby, receiving the top young rider trophy for the second time.
I was 3rd in the Maple Ridge World Cup Qualifier
I won the GrandPrix in Cape Town at the World Cup Show
I won the Midrand leg of the mini grand prix.
I was placed in 3 of the Stal van de Kraan classes including a 2nd, 3rd & 4th.
I was awarded the top young rider award in the South African Derby.
I won the Port Elizabeth World Cup Qualifier
3rd in the Cape town World Cup Qualifier
Leading young rider of the year
Winner of the Western Province Junior Showjumping Championship
2nd in the Western Province Adult Showjumping Championship
Received junior provincial showjumping colours for the 3rd year in a row, this year on a different horse
THANDI – The Heritage and Nissan Development Initiative
- It exposes very disadvantaged children to the equestrian sport;
- It provides a vehicle for the Kwena Molapo school to showcase its achievements in inter-school activities and competitions;
- It provides a platform for the integration of children of diverse socio-economic backgrounds;
- It opens up many new career opportunities to the learners;
- It supports the transformation imperatives of the South African society.
- Basic knowledge of and respect for horses;
- Basic horsemanship;
- Horse care and grooming;
- Use of and caring for tack and equipment;
- Competition rules and etiquette;
- Show jumping and flatwork
- Heritage Equestrian Development Program won the first FEI award for development in the sport.
- Heritage Equestrian Development program is a registered Section 21 Company and any sponsorship would be directly tax deductible to the sponsor as well as contributing to their BBBEE status.
- Over 50 riders have been part of and benefitted from the program.
- Several of the riders have achieved their Regional and Provincial colours, they have also matriculated and gone on to receive bursaries at various universities.
- Ouida Smit, an award winning South African film maker and her European partners have started making a full length documentary about the program. So far, they have 30 minutes of footage, but are not able to continue until they receive some funding. This documentary could make the program world famous and could be very beneficial to a prospective sponsor.