He was born into an equestrian family; he started riding at the age of 4 and competing by the time he was 6 years old. His deceased father, Lesley Taylor trained the Dutch team in the ‘60s and was head instructor at Deurne, the Dutch Equestrian Centre. Lesley also trained many of the then Springbok riders and was Chef d’Equipe of the junior SA team in 1963 that went to compete in the European Championships in Rotterdam, finishing a creditable 2nd. Barry’s Mom, Beryl Toms has been involved with horses her entire life, including being general manager at the then Transvaal Horse Society for 12 years before retiring in 2004.
Between the ages of 12-17 years Barry competed as a Junior, representing both OFS and NC. At the age of 14 years, he rode for the victorious South African Team in Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe) where he also won the Rhodesian Grand Prix. He was successful in all the major Junior competitions.
As an Adult he held OFS and NC, Defence Force and Transvaal Colours, and has represented one or the other of these “Provinces” on numerous occasions. In 1985 he was awarded the then Springbok Colours (now National Colours). He then received Protea Colours again in 2006.
|Facebook:||Barry John Taylor
Barry Taylor – Protea Showjumper
Team Nissan Showjumping
|Date of Birth:||9 May 1961|
|Academic Education:||Kimberley Boys High 1974 -1978|
2013 Top 10 Coaching clinic with Olympic Gold medalist Rob Hoekstra
2014 Top 10 Coaching clinic with Olympic Gold medalist Rob Hoekstra
2015 CEEPSA RPL Qualification
2017 CEEPSA Certificate of Membership – Equestrian Practitioner
Equestrian Instructor International Level 1
2017 South African National Instructors’ Plan International Equestrian Coach – Level Two (Module 6)
2017 South African National Instructors’ Plan –International Equestrian Coach – Level Three (Module 7)
Equestrian Coach Development Education
2018 SAEF Coach Educator/Advisor Evaluation for Coach Developers – Provincial Coach Developer
Barry has had a Philip Smith winner; SA adult champions; Grand Prix winners; Outdoor Grand Prix winners; Micro derby; Mini derby and SA Derby winners.
The 2010 World Equestrian Games SA show jumping team for Kentucky USA had 4 out of the 5 team members trained by Barry at some stage during their careers. These riders were: Cara Frew, Oliver Lazarus, John Lotter and Lexi Carter.
- Winner of the South African Derby 1997, 2000, 2003, 2004
- South African Showjumping Championship Winner 2000, 2003
- Ranked No 1 SA Showjumper 1999 – 2002, 2004, 2005
- Winner of the South African Outdoor Grand Prix a whopping 9 times, the most recent being in 2011
- Winner South African League FEI World Cup Series numerous times
- Show Jumper of the Year (5 times)
- World Equestrian Games in Aachen 2006
- Riders Tour Grand Prix Series Winner 2004
- Grand Prix Rider of the Year 2005
- Presidents Cup Winner 4 times including years 2001, 2003
- Winner of 12 World Cup Qualifiers over the years, the most recent being in Polokwane in 2012 & 2014
- British Gentlemen’s Championship Winner, Royal Windsor Horse Show, UK 1998
- Placed 11th – All England Jumping Derby, Hickstead, UK, 2005
- Runner-up at the Presidents Cup 2011
- Winner of the Adult SA Outdoor Grand Prix at the Nissan Easter Festival 2011
- Winner of Mini Derby 4 times most recently in 2011
- Consistently ranked in the Top 10 Riders in South Africa.
- Runner up SA Showjumping Champs 2013
- Runner up Presidents Cup 2013
- Runner up World Cup – South African League runner 2014
- Winner of the Grand Prix of Zimbabwe at Harare show 2014
- Winner of the Victor Ludorum in the 1.50m’s at the SA Derby 2014